Raksha Bandhan or Rakhi festival is one of the most auspicious and important festival in Hindus in India or all over the world. Sweet dishes also play an important role in the celebrations of Rakhi or Raksha Bandhan festival.
Ghevar recipe is a sweet dish special from Rajasthan. It is a round cake made from flour mixed and soaked in ghee and milk and topped with sliced almonds.
Ingredients for Ghevar
- ½ cup of Milk
- 4 cups of Water
- 1 cup of Ghee
- 3 cups of Plain flour
- A Pinch of Food color (Yellow)
- 4-5 Ice cubes pieces
- 4-5 drops of Kewra Essence
- 1 Kg Ghee
Ingredients for making Syrup:
- Sugar : 1 ½ Cups
- Water : 1 Cup
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Almonds chopped
- 1 tbsp Pistachios
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Saffron dissolved in milk
- Silver foil (optional)
Method for preparing for Ghevar
- Take a bowl and add water and sugar mix it well. Make sugar syrup
- Take a large bowl and rub the 1 cup Ghee with ice cubes into it, till the color of the mix turns white.
- Add milk, flour and one cup water into a mix for making the batter.
- Add the food color in water into the batter and after that mix the essence into it.
- Add some water to make the batter free flowing if necessary.
- Fill a cylindrical container with ghee and heat it.
- Pour about 50 ml of batter into the container, after the settlements of the foam add another glassful of batter into the batter.
- When the foam settles down, take out the Ghevar and put it on a wire mesh to drain the oil.
- Take a large and flat container to hold the Ghevar.
- After few minutes take out the Ghevar and put it on mesh again.
- Let it cool down for few minutes and spray a few drops of saffron milk, chopped dry fruit and the cardamom powder.